Monday, June 7, 2010

Buttercream Icing

So I had a new experience today, well two. It started out right, but in the end it turned out to be a delicious mess. I had my first attempt at Buttercream Icing today, that wasn't the disaster (which I was sure it was going to be). So do not fear the buttercream, it is much easier to make than imagined :) Note to self though, DO NOT use butter flavored Crisco unless you want yellow icing! Now it is a great shade of yellow and I will be making it work! This week and next; maybe I shouldn't buy items on sale. I get excited about the sale and forget to look closely at the label.


Anyways, here is the recipe:

1 c Crisco, make sure you use Crisco not off brands
4 Tbsp water
2 tsp extract, your favorite kind (I used Lemon tonight to match the yellow Crisco, and it turned out great)
3 Tbsp Meringue Powder
1lb Confectioner's sugar, or 4 c

Blend all ingredients until smooth enough to ice but not as smooth as store bought icing. The spatula should slowly fall when stood up in icing. This was the only tricky part. If too stiff add water, if too loose add sugar. It's an experiment each day. I had to use less sugar and more water tonight.

So I'm taking a series of cake decorating courses over the summer and I'll be sure to post pictures with other types, tricks, and stories! Happy Cooking, or in this case Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment