Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Flowers Galore!

The month of July was all about flowers. Over the month hopefully I have learned new skills and mastered some technique. I'll let you be the judge of that. We started off our first night with the flowers from fondant and from royal icing. Here's the picture from last week that wouldn't load.

And before anyone starts, yes that is a shirt box that the flowers are in. It has been making a few appearances lately. Anyways, the small purple flowers are violets, the yellow are daffodil, and then there are daisies in the upper left corner. I love the look of these so much more than the fondant in the upper right corner. But next month we are working on flowers that will be out of fondant and gum paste which look more realistic. 

After our task the first night, we made a cake with the purple violets. Here is the cake we made during the second week.

 

There is piping work on the side of cake that I was hoping would look more like a vine, but it turned out good. I'm really looking forward to someday making a cake that I can do lace detail work on. Piping is a tough workout on your hand though. The side of my hand was cramping so bad by the end, and it was a small cake! This on I think was my second favorite to date.

I'm not sure if my finale cake tops this one or not. I'll let you decide that. My last cake is more bold I think and the flowers are more extravagant. I mean nothing like Ace of Cakes extravagant but for me, the beginner! Here is my Grande Finale piece for the second class.



This cake in a basket weave with rope borders, topped with roses, primroses, and a flower that I forget the name. Really I was just trying to get rid of the last bit of icing :) Notice the little violets from the last cake. I had a few left over and they were the perfect final touch my cake needed.

And I'm so excited, I got my first order for a birthday cake this week. I'm finishing that up tomorrow, so I'll be posting tomorrow night with the finished product. A dozen reddish, pinkish roses :) And I'm proud of those roses! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Happy Cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment