Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Royal Icing, Friend or Foe?

Well I always thought that royal icing would be hard to work with, hard to make, and well an all around pain in the butt. I was proved wrong last week when I started working with royal icing flowers.

This week we started working on royal icing and fondant flowers. The fondant flowers, ehh... They were cute in that cartoon style way. Maybe when I learn a little more about it and try some new flowers I'll feel differently.

So here is the recipe for royal icing. Now get ready, it's a doozy. Have pen and paper? Ok.

3 c. powdered sugar
3 tsp meringue powder
2 Tbsp os water

Ok, just kidding, not so hard. The next part is actually tough unless you are lucky enough to own a stand mixer. For those less fortunate like myself, we're set for 7-10 minutes with the hand mixer. I guess there is one advantage. Pretty sweet bi-tricep muscles at the end of this.

On to the fun stuff, flowers! We worked on violets and daffodils this week. The picture failed to upload so you'll have to check back later for the finished cake that used the flowers.


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment