Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Gift Just For You!

This week I tackled covering a cake with fondant and making a big fat bow for the top. Covering the cake was as bad as I thought it was going to be.  (I do know that I will be buying a bigger rolling pin before I do another one though.) I learned though that a square cake is easier to cover than a round cake. So I guess I will be doing only square cakes in fondant. The bow gave me a little more trouble. My fondant was a little too thick, and I wasn't able to work fast enough. You need to really work fast with this stuff or it will start to crack and tear. My bow started to crack at one of the seams. So the group setting wasn't all that great for me tonight, but Isaac and I will be attempting another one this weekend, so we'll see if that does any better.



This cake did give me another idea. The blue, even though it looks Carolina blue, it is actually more of a Tiffany Blue. So maybe I'll do a blue cake and put a big white bow on it and fix up a Tiffany bracelet to drape over the box. I'll let you know how that one goes too.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment